Sunday, April 5, 2015

The video game industry is based on what's new and improved, even if thats not what we want.

I cannot tell you the first time I played a video game, or even the first time I saw a video game, but what I can say with certainty was that I was very young when I was introduced to video games.  I can recall being very young (under 5) when my parents bought an original PlayStation for my older sister. After a couple years I began to use the system more than my sister. Out of my collection of about 10 different games, my favorite was Crash Bandicoot. It is a simple game, very similar to the popular Super Mario series. It is a platformer style where you jump on enemies and collect items. It was a simple game to learn for a young child, and I played it for years. However, all good things come to an end, and my PlayStation days came to a close when my parents gave me a GameCube for Christmas when I was about 7 or 8. As soon as the GameCube was hooked up to the TV, the PlayStation was forgotten. With better graphics, newer games and a new controller design, I was in love with my new GameCube the first
time I hit the power button. This simple, almost mundane, story, one I do not think about often, demonstrates exactly how video games are a multibillion-dollar industry.

Consumers are forced to buy new consoles when their old ones become obsolete.


            Just like many other technical industries, video games are all about what’s new, or what’s next. Just like me when I was younger, people are always looking for the next console. New consoles typically have better graphics, capability for more advanced games, new features (like internet access), and possibly different controls. These improvements are one way how companies like Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft can keep people buying their next generation of consoles. Just like the new iPhone that comes out each year, when people compare their old system to the new one, they feel the need to upgrade.

            Another way to force people to buy the new console is to stop production of games for the old model. When a new console is released all new games are made for this system, and not the old one. This is how companies bring in more people to buy their new system. Even if you decide that the new and improved graphics of the new system are not worth $300, if there are new games that you want to play, you will have no choice but to buy the new system along with the games. This is the key. No true gamer is content with the collection of games he or she has. Each game can only be played so many times before it becomes boring. Eventually gamers are forced to buy the new system for the games if not for the system itself.

"What games can this system play?" is the most important question for consumers, and producers.


Blockbuster games made up 46% of sales in 2012, similar to prior years. This fact is why many popular games are not just a singularity, but are turned into a series of games. There is security in the names of these hit video games for developers. If people enjoy a game, they are likely to buy the sequel.
 These big-hit games are not just security for the developers of the game, but for the creators of the console that it is played on as well. Many games are under contract to only be made for a specific console. For example the popular Halo series can only be played on the Xbox, the God of War series is exclusive to PlayStation, and the ever-popular Pokemon series can only be played on Nintendo devices. Which games can be played on which system is possibly the most important factor for consumers to consider before purchasing a system. Consoles are expensive; most people cannot afford to just buy them all and the three major console producers (Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft) know this. This is why the three major producers of consoles try to get the best games for their system, and if possible, have them only available on their system. Nintendo has been rather successful with this, having many popular series of games like Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, and Super Smash Brothers, and according to business insider, they also have three of the top five grossing video games designed for a console of all time.


            When a new gaming system is released or a new game comes out, most of us are probably not thinking about all of the work that has gone on behind the scenes like rights to get a certain game on a particular console. However these are important factors that go into what systems we buy. Remember back to when I received a GameCube for Christmas as a young boy. The only reason why I wanted a GameCube at all was because I had played Super Smash Bros. Melee at a friend’s house. Super Smash Bros. Melee is a game that is exclusive to the GameCube. So without any other knowledge of the GameCube I immediately knew that I wanted it simply for that one game. Later on I upgraded my GameCube and got a Wii. I knew that all of my GameCube games would still work on the Wii, plus I would then be able to play the cool new Wii games.  This is what these companies want us to do: get hooked on a game or two, then stick with this brand for life in order to keep playing newer versions of the game.

Pg. 184, Review Question 6.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To start off, I feel that Ian did a great job with this article and he incorporated really good explanatory photos. A good explanatory photo is one that someone can understand what is going on just by looking at it. You can see the determination in the child’s eye while playing the video game. I really enjoyed reading this article because not only did it just state facts, but he also related it to his life in the first paragraph. Relating it to his life showed the readers that he went through this and experienced it first hand. In the first photo, you can see the child’s face very into the video game, which explains the article and how kids are very into the gaming system. I also think it helped to have explanatory headlines throughout this article because if helps a reader get an idea of what the article is about just by scrolling through. Ian incorporated a graph in this article, which helped a lot because data in a graph always helps explain an article. I strongly agree that everyone always wants bigger and better. Video games are “all about what’s new or what’s next.” Every kid always wants the newest edition they could get. Not only does it just relate to video games, but it also includes I-phones today, I agree that everyone always feels that they need what is new and up to date. I like how Ian incorporated facts from his life and how he always wanted bigger and better. It showed that times didn’t change and everyone always wants to have the best that they could have. I believe this article was very well-written but it could use a little more outside information and get more sources. Ian did a great job because he didn’t just state facts about new video game systems coming out, but he also stated why kids want it. This article could use one more explanatory photo, but overall, I felt this was a very good article and I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete